When it comes to skin experts, dermatologists obviously come out on top.
Which made us wonder: How are the pros taking care of their own skin—and how can we steal their secrets? Get ready to take notes! We’re peeking into the bathroom cabinets of three top dermatologists to see what potions and lotions they slather on themselves before catching the best prescription of all: beauty sleep.
You might want to add some new steps into your bedtime skin-care routine!
“I use a Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes to remove excess makeup and break down oils and dirt at night before cleansing—this is my way of ‘double cleansing.’ And then, I kid you not, I use all the below listed products in this order every single night. So that my regime feels amazing, I incorporate natural botanicals like lavender, rose and floral extracts that help me relax and feel like this is my special luxury ritual before bedtime.
“After wiping off my makeup, I apply the following:
- Glycolic acid-based cleanser, such as this one from Mario Bedescu
- Murad Hydrating Toner
- Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Essence
- SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum
- Skinceuticals CE Ferulic Serum
- Tazorac RX retinol (prescription only)
- Teoxane RHA Hyaluronic Acid Serum
- SkinMedica Dermal Repair Cream
- Neocutis Lumière Eye Cream
- Neocutis Microfirm Neck & Décolleté Rejuvenating Complex
- Latisse Rx for eyelashes (prescription only)
- By Terry Baume de Rose lip balm
“I don’t neglect areas like my neck, décolleté, and lips. And I load up on serums, which have the most potent of active skincare ingredients. Yes, I literally use three as you can see, but because they’re not thick, they layer beautifully. I mix prescription retinol into my skincare routine. It’s no frills, but it works! And even though this seems like a marathon regimen, it takes me five minutes. I don’t wait between steps because I want to get to bed!” —Dr. Annie Chiu, M.D. Director, The Derm Institute of North Redondo Beach; on dermatology staff at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center