Citrus fruits abound in potassium, vitamins, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and much more.
Citrus fruits are very beneficial, even though they don’t make a balanced meal on their own. However, they are rich in sugar so it is very important to eat them in moderation when it comes to maintaining a balanced diet.
It is more difficult to grow certain fruits at home than others, but fortunately, two of the most beneficial can be easily grown. Growing them at home, will make it possible for you to see the difference in quality and freshness, and also you will be certain that you are eating fruits which are chemical-free and organic.
Lemons are super useful, and they are one of the most beneficial fruits. It doesn’t matter if you use their peel or add them to your water, you definitely must grow them.
Grow Them like This
Buying a baby tree, which is 2 to 3 years old is what I recommend for best results. You will need a big plastic or clay pot that has a lot of holes in the bottom. Place the baby tree in the pot and put stones in the drainage container, this is going to promote air flow. Next, add soil in the pot. Since there are soils which are specifically made for growing citrus fruits, using them will provide better results.
This is all the preparations you need. Lemons need from 8 to 10 hours of sunlight per day and they need to be watered on a regular basis. The time period required for the lemons to ripen is from 6 to 9 months.
You can also grow lemons from their seeds. In order to do so, you need to do this:
- Purchase an organic lemon, since the seeds of those that are not organic are non-germinating seeds.
- You will need a fertile potting soil, one which contains natural fertilizers, perlite, vermiculite and peat.
- A pot for planting. It needs to be six inches deep and six wide.
- A pot for seedling. It needs to be 12 inches deep and 24 inches wide.
- Indoors location for growing, which is sunny. You will also need a grow lamp.
Follow these steps:
- Water the potting soil. It needs to be damp, but make sure that it is not soaked.
- Add soil in the smaller pot. Leave an inch of empty space below the rim.
- Remove the seeds from a lemon, and remove the pulp from the surface. Sucking on it till it is clean is a good way of doing it.
- Plant it as soon as possible. The chances are that the seed is still moist once you buried it in the soil. The seed need to be planted about ½ inch in the pot.
- Use a spray bottle and spray the soil which is directly over the seed.
- Use clear plastic wrap to cover the pot. Use rubber band to seal the edges, and them make small holes on the top.
- The pot needs to be placed somewhere sunny and warm.
- You need to water it on a regular basis. Make sure not to overwater it.
- Two weeks later, after the sprouting has emerged, you need to remove the plastic wrap.
- Keeping the soil moist and making sure that your plant is exposed to 8 hours of light every day means that you are taking good care of it.
- Make sure that it is not attacked by diseases or bugs. Remove the dead, brown leaves when necessary.
- Once its original pot becomes small, transfer the plant in a larger pot.
Watch How Mitchell Boyle Grows Lemons
Mitchel has a popular YouTube channel, where you can see how he grows a variety of different plants. In his videos, you can see how to grow everything, from pineapples, kiwis, avocados to bananas.
In the following video, you can see how to grow a lemon tree.
Mandarins are high in calcium, antioxidants, fiber, magnesium and so much more. They are extremely beneficial and it is very simple to grow them at home.
Grow Them like This
In case you want to grow them indoors purchasing a baby tree is for the best. You need to prepare the pot in the same way as you did for lemons. Mandarins require regular sunlight.
These trees usually grow 6 feet in height at the maximum, so they are perfect for indoors. They need to be watered on a regular basis, and you need to change to pot when the plant outgrows the first one. Once the mandarins become orange they need to be picked.
Note: when picking the mandarins, the little button which is on the top should stay there, so be careful when you twist them.